Follow me on Facebook

My Personal Forums

Wannabez Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Wannabez 1 cover in glorious color!



Here is a look at the final cover for Wannabez #1. I am paying homage and spoofing the classic first appearance covers of the golden age and silver age. This is the second issue of Wannabez, since issue #0 came out last year. Colors are by Ross Hughes, and the lettering is done by the Wannabez mastermind himself, Brant Fowler.

The focus of the #1 issue is Dober-Man, Streak, and Ignition! Great fun, and alot of effort is going into the issue.

An ashcan of the issue is planned to debut at Gem City Comic Con (Sunday April 5th), and the actual final greyscale version should be solicited for the May issue of the Haven Distribution catalog.

Scott

4 comments:

Alex Hernandez said...

Very cool. You should post a pic of the cover you're referencing. I love it when they put swipes next to the originals.

Jason Berek-Lewis said...

Scott, great cover! I can't wait to read this issue.

ScottDMSImmons said...

The homage or parody (not swipe) is to or of Detective Comics #38 which shows Robin jumping through a circus tiger circle that Batman is holding.... but I am also poking fun at the covers like the first appearance of Daredevil. To me, such silver age and golden age stuff is awesome. It's somewhat silly and cheesy or over the top, but that's part of what makes it so special. It's perfect to spoof with Wannabez.

Detective Comics 38: http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/detective-comics/38-2.jpg

Daredevil 1: http://www.firstappearanceof.com/images/daredevil.jpg

ScottDMSImmons said...

BTW, thanks guys, for posting here. I love reading your comments.

For anyone who may not know, Alex and I worked together on a Jenny Everywhere story called "Soulless Mate", from which pages can still be seen on my website under the pencils section.